Saturday, May 18, 2013

First game of the season & some

Sunday was the start of my European season. So exciting, never thought I would get such an opportunity. Finallyyy the sun was out all day and it was a perfect day to play the beautiful game! In the 50s, not too hot, not too cold, and a slight breeze. Doesn’t get much better, honestly. We won the game 3-2. We scored 3 goals pretty quickly, within the first 20-25 minutes and held them at 3-0 for the first half. They came out with a ton of energy in the second half and scored off a good play. They scored again more towards the end of the second half, so the last part of the game was nerve racking but we ended up holding out and winning the game. Definitely nice to start the season off with a win. Our next game is this Sunday, 6 hours north. Hopefully it’s not another blizzard experience! Can’t handle that bitter cold. And, for the first time in almost 3 months, my hamstrings are feeling good. Knock on wood.

I really wonder how many days out of the year it rains or snows here. Seems like sunshine is a rare thing. It will finally be a beautiful day (which is still in the 50s and chilly- but nice for here!) and the next day is the total opposite, cold and rainy or cold and grey. Lots of grey days already. I hear everything is beautiful here once it all has bloomed, though! And no Florida humidity. Can’t say I miss that :) The wind here is seriously wild! It’s like hurricane winds.. With no hurricanes. Definitely interesting trying to practice when the wind has a mind of its own. Makes things difficult sometimes. On a positive note, it’s perfect weather for laying on the couch and watching movies and tv all day tehe.. Which we have a lot of time to do. Netflix works here as well. Huge plus.
We still haven’t moved into our apartment yet. Hoping that happens soon, hate to complain at all when I’m so fortunate to be on such an awesome adventure, it’s just hard living out of suitcases with so much stuff for going on 2 weeks.

Another interesting thing about cute little Tierp is there is no actual post office here. I believe you do it all through the grocery store, but not entirely sure. And not sure how much it costs. 1 stamp costs 6 kronor (1 dollar).

Sadly, I haven’t picked up much of the language yet. It’s still early, so hopefully by the end I can string together some sentences. So far I’ve learned thank you, good bye and good. Pretty basic. Swedish is really hard, nothing sounds like English haha.

Before I came here, I broke out of my habit of not trying new foods and am so thankful I did! It would be so hard to eat anything here had I not tried new things because obviously everything is different! And so good. I’ve even gotten into eating fish regularly, which is huge for me!
It’s only been 2 weeks and I’m so glad I was given this opportunity. Definitely a life changing experience

No comments:

Post a Comment