Monday, June 10, 2013

Dream Life

It would almost be rude if I didn't start this blog off by talking about how I met Pia Sundhage yesterday when I was in Stockholm watching a professional team called Tyreso play!! I still can't believe it. It was so casual... she was literally just walking with a media person and we went right up to her to introduce ourselves. She was really friendly and didn't seem bothered at all by the many fans who kept walking up to her to have their pictures taken. Strangely, no one was around her when we went to introduce ourselves, so we actually got to have a 5 minute conversation. Surreal. She was there for a press conference to talk about the Euro Cup, which is taking place in Sweden next month.



We were able to go to the game because my friend Jackie got Carrie and I and another of her friends free tickets to the game because she works for Tyreso's club. It was awesome to get to watch such a high level of women's soccer. Marta just so happens to play for that team and I can't even describe how cool it was to watch her play in person. She's highly regarded here... her own cheering section and all. I got a feeling that section was her family, but I'm not positive. They were beating drums and singing songs in Spanish for her all game long. Christen Press also plays for Tyreso. She's an American and plays on the National team. Watched her score 3 sick goals. They also have a girl named Veronica Boquete on the team, who is from Spain. She is unreal. Raw talent for sure. She is so crafty and light on her feet. Not sure I've ever watched a person play soccer and make it look that easy. She seemed so humble too. She created a lot of their chances and didn't seem bothered that she didn't get a goal herself. I'm terrible when it comes to watching soccer and following players, but I definitely would like to watch her play more and see more of her career. The team was talented as a whole and with those three, it was just amazing to watch.



I had my first experience on a subway in Stockholm on Sunday! I didn't even realize I'd never been on a subway until I was riding one. I guess subways are known for being gross, at least in the US, and the one in Sweden was no different. Made me appreciate the train systems even more. Prior to coming to Sweden, I couldn't tell you a thing about trains or the subway systems. The train has been pretty straight forward (with the help of a Swedish friend) but the subway was a different story. It was really confusing because there were two different subways and they were different colors than each other, obviously taking you different places. We got on the wrong subway and rode in the opposite direction of where we needed to go, so eventually we just asked random strangers to help some sisters out. All of that aside, we made it to our destination. Safe to say, I hope I don't live in a city where I have to commute via subway to work! Side note: I swear the subway was like 500ft below ground. It seriously looked and felt like a cave. Rather creepy.



Saturday's game was a good one. We beat Taby FK 2-1, a team that Tierp lost to twice last year. Hands down the most physical team we've played all season. But also one of the better teams as well. We scored on them early and they later tied it up after they got a pk. Second half we continued playing well and got another goal on them and held the lead for the rest of the game. It was nice to see the team and coaches happy to have beaten them.

Things at the restaurant are going well still. It's a huge learning experience for me. I tend to stay away from the kitchen. My brain just doesn't think clearly in there for some reason. I am the girl who messes up rice krispie treats and grilled cheese. Don't ask how. I think I've peeled maybe one potato in my day and I've definitely never cut any vegetables... doing both now. Whether I learn anything or not, I'm glad to be getting the experience. Since we work Monday and Tuesday and get Wednesday's off of soccer, it helps the week go by quicker. Not as many days with unlimited free time. I'm enjoying it- never thought I'd say that.

Slowly figuring out how to add pictures to the blog and hoping I can get better at it. I'm sure it's rather boring just reading words with no pictures to give you a real idea of what I'm rambling on about!

No comments:

Post a Comment